Part 3 in a Bible study series called Does Prayer Really Change Things?
PRAYING FOR VICTORY
“And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.”—Jesus (Matthew 6:13)
“Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.”—Apostle Peter (1 Peter 5:8)
What the Bible says about spiritual warfare:
- We are in a real spiritual battle. “For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places” (Ephesians 6:12).
- We are to resist the devil and he will flee from us. “Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you” (James 4:7; see also 1 Peter 5:9).
- We are to use spiritual weapons to overcome evil. “And take...the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints” (Ephesians 6:17-18; see also 2 Corinthians 10:3-4).
PREPARING FOR SPIRITUAL BATTLE
“Where God is on one side, you may be sure to find the devil on the other.”—William Gurnall
How to prepare for spiritual battle:
- Pray always. We must develop a lifestyle of prayer. “Pray without ceasing” (1 Thessalonians 5:17).
- Be watchful. “Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak” (Matthew 26:41).
- Have perseverance.
(Much of the material from this study was taken from a series of blog posts on prayer by Winfield Bevins.)